Thursday, October 20, 2011

Neckline binding tutorial

Neckline Binding #4

So here it is: the one, the only neckline binding tutorial for knits! I must say, I actually much prefer this style of finishing a neckline. It's much easier than doing a bias strip when it comes to knits, in my opinion, and I like the look of this so much more.

I hope you find the tutorial useful. Away we go!

1 - Stitch your shoulder seams together, and press the seams open.

2 - Take your binding strip as per the pattern you are working with, and fold it in half with wrong sides together. Press, then open it up and sew the ends together with right sides together. Press the seam open, then refold and press again if required. You now have a loop of binding.

NecklineBinding1

3 - With raw edges together, pin the binding to the neckline with right sides facing. The seam in the middle of your loop of binding should be positioned at the centre back point of the neckline. Make sure that you stretch the binding around the neckline evenly. Sew with a 1cm seam allowance. Overlock the raw edge.

Neckline Binding #2

4 - Phew - the trickiest bit is over! Now press the neck line binding seam allowance flat, towards the t-shirt.

5 - Topstitch along the inside edge of the t-shirt neckline, stitching through the binding seam allowance on the wrong side.

Neckline Binding #3

And that's it - you should now have a lovely neck binding. Let me know if you have any questions - I'll answer in the comment box below. But before I go, I must say a lot of credit for this goes to Nic, who taught me how to do it in the first place. Thanks, Nic!

And don't forget - cute buttons are always an option!

Yellow Tee #2

14 comments:

  1. Very clear tutorial. I like this method for men's and children's wear, but prefer a bound neckline for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thankyou, that was great instructions, and a much nicer finish than other options :)
    Pinned for future reference, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was admiring that topstitching when you first posted these pics. What sort of stitch is that done with? I've been having trouble with busted stitches on stretchy fabrics, although that's been mostly with cotton thread that I have learned is not so good with stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this tutorial! I've been looking for better ways to bind the necklines of my knits. I'm trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a ponti and knit dress in the pipeline (2 actually) so this is very helpful. Thank you - merci!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane,

    I use a stretch stitch, which moves a lot better with a knit fabric, thus preventing the busted stitches issue.

    Hopefully your machine has one - they are awesome for knits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be pinning this for future reference too! When you sew the topstitching do you do it from the inside of the shirt with the bobbin thread ending up as the topstitch? or the other way round?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maggie,

    You sew the topstitching on the right side of the t-shirt, so the bobbin thread is underneath as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the answer! Ah, stretch stitch. I think that's the one feature I wish for that's not on any of my collection of several old machines. Zigzag works okay for some applications but not a nice neat topstitch like this. Never mind, I can live without :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, this is one of my fave patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tute! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great tutorial. The problem I'm having is that my fabric is gathering or puckering and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm not sure why it's doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.